Tips on How to Become a Wine and Beverage Manager

There’s more to being a wine and beverage manager than just lifting spirits. Managers for restaurants, bars, and nightclubs are always in demand, but they usually work odd hours and may have to work overtime.


A good wine and beverage manager should have an understanding of liquor laws and regulations on a local, national, and international level. They must also be able to identify different types of wines and alcoholic beverages.



Restaurant Manager Training Manual

This manual can cost anywhere from $79 to $129 to complete, depending on whether the company you work for pays for your training. It is available online at, and trains future and current managers on marketing, cash management, inventory control, as well as other safety and sanitation methods.

First Aid Certificates

A lot of employers provide their managers with proper training in first aid certification. There are various types of first aid certificates available at different trade/technical schools, universities, colleges, and some high schools. Courses can range from a few hours to a few days to complete, and can cost anywhere from $60 to $190.


Almost all bar managers have to complete some sort of ServSafe exam and/or the ServSafe Alcohol program before or during their employment.. You can search for the closest program to you by using the “Class Locator” search field on their website. There is also a ServSafe Food Protection Manager certificate online for $125, which can be completed in less than 90 days. For $36, you can take an online exam which can be completed in 60-90 minutes.


A diploma may be a good idea for future managers if they have no prior work experience or knowledge of liquor laws. A diploma generally takes one to two years to complete, and is available at culinary schools and chef colleges, as well as some trade/technical schools, colleges, and universities.


In order to guarantee future employment as a wine and beverage manager, it may be a good idea to invest in an associate’s or bachelor’s program in management. There are various programs available specifically for the wine and beverage industry, and may also include externships. A bachelor’s degree takes four years to complete and is more expensive than an associate’s degree, which takes one to two years to complete. Both are available at culinary schools and chef colleges, as well as most colleges and universities.


Wine and beverage managers could find work in any of the following:

  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Bars
  • Nightclubs
  • Lounges
  • Casinos
  • Cruise Ships
  • Resorts
  • Catering companies
  • Liquor stores
  • Beverage and wine agencies


A bar manager could earn between $20,000 and $40,000 a year depending on annual company sales.

Explore Local Schools Today

Have Questions or Feedback?